Converting a CAN database into a CAN FD database
How to modify a CAN database so it can be used to send CAN FD frames on a CAN FD bus?
CAN FD frames (messages) require some additional attributes compared to CAN frames. These attributes need to be added to the database.
The template CAN_FD Template.dbc contains the necessary attributes with predefined values for CAN FD.
The following steps will copy these attributes to an existing database:
- Start the CANdb++ Editor and open an existing CAN database
- Select File | Import Attribute Definitions… to import the attribute definitions from the CAN FD template into the currently loaded database:
The template is located in the public documents directory. The default path for these templates should look like this: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Vector\CANoe\11.0.42 (x64)\Templates\Database
- Verify that the import was successful in the Import - Results window which opens automatically. The window lists the changes in the loaded database:
- Save the database
Alternative method: Creation of a CAN FD database base on a template:
- Open CANdb++ Editor
- Select File | Create Database and select the CAN_FD template.dbc from the list of templates:
- Check, that CAN FD is already set as the protocol for the new network:
- - right clicking on the network
- - select Edit Network …
- - on the tab Definition the value CAN FD should already be set as Protocol
- Create CAN FD messages by selecting CAN FD Standard for the message Type:
Please complete all required fields. Fields marked with * are required.